Sunday, November 20, 2011

Things I Don't Need To Do: Read So Many Blogs

I like to read blogs.  A lot.  Marked in my favorites, I had somewhere between ten and fifteen that I was checking regularly (um, yeah, that means daily).  Of course, I could have subscribed to them and gotten notifcation when something new was posted.  But, no, I didn't do that.  I just ran through them in moments I stole from my family.  This makes little sense coming from someone who just started a blog, but I cut them down drastically.  Here's why:

1.  The blogs were a huge waste of time.  I read them when I truly should have been doing other things. 

2.  The blogs made me feel inadequate. 
Now, let me be clear.  This is, in most cases, not the fault of the writers of these blogs.  Each one focused on a different topic such as home management, home decor, crafting, preschool education, and more.  Because I read them all I started feeling like I needed to be more accomplised in each of these areas.  Again, I say, not the fault of the blog authors.  However, I do think there is a tendency for all of us to present only the best of ourselves.  I think most of us need to work on sharing our warts a little bit more.  That's why I'm going to show you a picture of the inside of my microwave.  Well, maybe someday. 

3.  Blogs are a form of virtual reality.  I used them to feel connected to others, but I wasn't truly connecting to anyone.  I was just taking myself out of my own reality for a little while. 

So, I made some cuts.  Now, I read three blogs out of personal interest.  They are: Passionate Homemaking and Want What You Have.  Though quite different, they both speak to the challenges and blessings of simple, intentional homemaking.  I enjoy my friend Annette's Blog:  Live, Learn, Love and every time I read it I'm grateful that I know her personally.  I also subscribe to two education/homeschool blogs that help me find ideas for my two-year-old.  I just keep an eye on them for quick and easy activities. 

Occasionally, I find myself wandering on to a new blog and toying with the idea of adding it to my collection.  But, for now, I'm staying strong and eliminating some time not-so-well-spent from my day.  Now, if only I could wean myself from Pinterest.  Sigh.

How about you?  What could you give up that would ultimately make you feel saner and more focused?

No comments:

Post a Comment